Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tiffin

I've seen this chocolatey sweet being generally sold at most of bakery and coffee shops in England for years but I didn't bother to find out what it really was until the last time I visited my husband's family when it was nicely made and served by my sister-in-law!

When I was given the recipe, I noticed it was a kid's handwriting, then my sister-in-law told me that it's her daughter who wrote the recipe which was from her husband's mother..it's handed down from generation to generation, so no wonder why it's sooo scrumptious !

The Recipe ( slightly adapted from the original ) :
75g unsalted butter
a tbsp caster sugar
75g cocoa powder
75 g dark chocolate ( 70% cocoa )
1 tbsp golden syrup
100 g sultanas + raisins
225 g crushed digestive biscuits
340 g ( a whole bag ) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:

Melt the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan on a low heat. Let cool for few minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine the last 2 ingredients and mix in the butter and choco. mixture. Stir until everything evenly distributed. Press the mixture into the prepared tin ( 7*11 inches , lightly grease the bottom and line with parchment paper ), cover with foil and leave in the fridge for few hours until firm ( I left overnight ).

Melt the semi-sweet choc. chips and spread evenly over the top. Let cool again until the topping set. Slice into pieces and enjoy !










5 comments:

SUDATHIP said...

It looks so deliciuos. Could you share your yummey recipe, please?

pepsakoy said...

Khun Sudathip, I've already added the recipe as asked !

Anonymous said...

What is castor sugar, golden syrup and the word by raisins? Sorry, I'm in the states and have no idea what those items would be. Also, digestive biscuits... any idea what I could use for that? Thanks!!!

Johanne Strickland said...

A little help - sultanas are golden raisins (usually slightly larger than normal raisins), castor sugar is superfine white (refined) sugar, golden syrup is a light syrup - substitute with corn syrup or honey, and digestive biscuits are known as graham crackers in the states. Hope that cleared things up :)

pepsakoy said...

Thanks, Johanne, for your help..I sometimes have a problem with this kind of thing!