Saturday, May 14, 2011

Banana and Coconut Muffins

Yesterday morning, I opened the freezer to put something away but surprisingly found out that most of spaces are occupied! During a search for free space, I then found 3 bananas unattended lying in different compartments. Given their ugly look and being old, I decided to get rid of them to make my freezer look prettier, yet I was kind enough not to throw them right away in a rubbish bin sitting next to the fridge !

Although there were a few ideas of how to play with those poor old bananas popped up in  my head but unfortunately, none of them is new and therefore all failed to make me convinced... With the iphone in my hand, I automatically opened the epicurious app. and type 'banana' word to search for an interesting recipe which didn't take me long to find out the winner!

I chose this muffin because a combination of banana and coconut which as far as I rememeber, they were never paired before in my baking era. because normally and basicly, I'd simply use chocolate to match banana or let it play a role on itself.. but this time I did something different for a change and sort of experiment!

The result was excellent and the muffins tasted wonderful.. The duo did a great job and made me fall in love with them!

The recipe ( slightly adapted from here )

1 1/4 cups self raising flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt 
3/4 cup mashed bananas
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
70 g caster sugar 
1 large egg 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Method :
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together bananas, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.

Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.









































Ps. I've also posted this to

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, that toasted coconut on top really makes your muffins look great. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweets-for-saturday-17.html

Kim McCallie said...

Yummy! I love coconut and love the way it looks toasted on top of the muffins. Great way to make do with what you have. I would love it if you would visit my linky party at Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/05/sweet-indulgences-sunday-4.html

Kim