Saturday, March 2, 2013

Classic Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Fudge Sauce


I've been making bundt cakes using a silicone pan that I bought when I started baking and disappointingly, it keeps failing to give me any good outcome as I've expect. So I finally was fed up with it and decided to replace it with a new proper and better one.. and here it comes !!


Next thing is to think about what to make for a debut of my brand-new pan which I simply went for a basic,yet classic thing like banana cake!

Although I've had my favourite recipe for a banana cake but this time, I felt like trying something new with my new toy..so I typically searched on google to find the one. Undoubtedly, there are millions of results shown but to be safe and easy, I decided to go for something simple,yet classic like banana cake and finally, I ended up with the reliable source  that it would never fail to meet my expectation !

To make the cake more interesting, I chose the chocolate fudge sauce to top up on the cake and the duo really made me pleased..

The recipe is from the book, Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients :

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 sticks / 226g unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 cups of sugar (refer to note above)

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 large eggs, at room temperature

About 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups)

1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt


Directions :

Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C.

Generously butter a 9- to 10-inch (12 cup) bundt pan. I used an oil spray with flour. (No need to butter if you are using a silicon bundt pan)

Sift and whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together. Working with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a handheld mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until pale and fluffy.

Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each egg goes in.
Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the bananas.
Finally, mix in half the dry ingredients, (the mixture may curdle but that’s fine), all the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture.

Scrape the batter into the pan, rap the pan on the counter to debubble the batter and smooth the top.
Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a skewer inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Check the cake after about 30 minutes – if it is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with a foil tent.
Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before unmoulding onto the rack to cool to room temperature.

The cake taste better the next day! If you’ve got the time, wrap the unglazed cooled cake in plastic and allow to sit on the counter overnight.


The Chocolate Fudge Sauce :

20 g butter
10 g cocoa powder
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream

100 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate

1.5 tsp vanilla extract


Make the sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients in the saucepan and heat until boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted. Add the vanilla and use a hand whisk to whisk until smooth. Pour over the cake while it's still warm.








































































     


 

No comments: