Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potato and Scallion Bread Rolls

Bread is my all-time favorite baked good and I never fail to enjoy making and eating it even once..savory or sweet one could always grab my attention and easily find its way to tempt me somehow !

As for these potato and scallion bread rolls, I was inspired by 'Potato Sour Cream and Chive Bread' ' made by Chuck of
thekheadforbread..Once I saw the bread, I simply knew myself what to do for my next baking episode !!

Instead of following through the whole recipe from Chuck, I typically adjusted the recipe and forced myself to accept whatsoever it would come out of the oven.. fortunately, they were fabulous and really made me pleased with all changes I done ! And in my point of view, the bread could excellently be eaten along with a soup or simply served as dinner rolls..Since, its taste is not that strong, I think it's probably great for sandwich as well !

Btw,having been following the yeastspotting, a bread making event, hosted by Susan of Wild Yeast for a long while, I finally decided to have myself joined in the event.. Thus I chose these wonderful rolls as my sooo first submission !

Here is my version..

3 small new potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
3 tbsp ( 40-45 g) butter
200 g strong white bread flour
80 g whole wheat flour
1+1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 heaped tsp salt
1.5 tbsp sugar
eggwash (1 large egg + a tbsp milk ),half for the dough and half for brushing
2 plus extra for sprinkle scallion, finely chopped

Method:

1. Boil the potatoes in a saucepan until soft. Drain, then add the sour cream, milk and butter and mash until smooth.

2. In a mixing bowl, stir the flours,yeast, sugar and salt together. Add half of the eggwash, potatoes mixture then, using a dough hook, mix everything to form a dough. Add the scallion and continue to knead for about 15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add a little oil to another bowl and add in the dough. Turn over a few times to very lightly coat all sides of the dough.

3. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk, about 1 hour. After the dough has risen, pour out onto a clean flat surface. Punch down the dough to release some of the air. Devide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each into a round form. Place the rounds onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cover with plastic warp and allow to rise for another 40-50 minutes. Brush the rolls with the remaining eggwash and bake into a preheated 350F oven for 22-25 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack before served.






















Potato and Scallion Bread Rolls on Foodista

8 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

YUM! I really like this recipe. It looks tasty and fun to make! Thanks for sharing!

pepsakoy said...

Thanks,finsmom..if you'd like to try, you can add a bit more of potato ..salt and sugar to make it tastier..that what I would do for my next try !

Shelby said...

This looks so delicious! It would have gone great with our spaghetti and meatballs tonight!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Thanks for sending these lovely rolls to YeastSpotting!

Arundathi said...

that looks great. sounds like a delicious flavor combination!

Anonymous said...

These look and sound amazing. I love how golden and buttery the crust looks. Nicely done!

pepsakoy said...

Thanks all for paying me a visit and your kindly comments..

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! This recipe is going on my "must try" list. Thanks for posting this!