Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jamaican Lamb Curry

My concept of cooking and baking is to try as many  cuisines as possible because I personally don't really like cooking/baking things repeatedly ! And fortunately, my personal taster is not a picky consumer and keen on eating every single edible thing I make which perfectly matches my desire..:)

My husband was convinced to choose this Jamaican curry as our Saturday dinner over Ayam betutu ( my husband's latest favorite! ) because, of course, I wanted to give it a try after I've seen it posted on Simple Recipes !

The original recipe actually calls for goat meat which is not a normal thing we have in the family, so I substituted the lamb for it as suggested. Anyway, I also did some search to get more information about the curry and happened to find one recipe that I was interested in ! At the end , I decided to basicly mix two recipes ( the ones from Simple Recipes and from the site I've found from my search  ) and made it in my own way which turned out to be terrific. Consequently, we undoubtedly had a great and scrumptious Saturday dinner!         

Here is my version..

1 pound of lamb cut into pieces
2 scallions, very coarsely chopped
1 large onion chopped
3 red bird chillies, finely chopped 
1.5 teaspoons allspice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons of curry powder
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2-3 tablaspoons canola oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups of chicken stock
half cup of coconut milk
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
3 new potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks

 Method :

1. Make the curry powder, use regular curry powder and add the allspice to it. Mix the scallions, half of the onions, chillies, salt, black pepper, and about 3 tablespoons of curry powder mixture. Rub the lamb well with the mixture. Let the meat marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

2. The next day, heat the butter in a large pot, and add the oil. Add a tablespoon curry powder, and mix well. Add the garlic, the remaining onions, and brown them. Add the seasoned lamb to the mixture. Mix well. Add the stock, coconut milk,tomato and the thyme. Bring to a simmer and let it cook until the meat is falling-apart tender, about 2 hours. Once the meat is close to being done – tender but not falling apart yet – Add the potatoes and mix in. The stew is done when the potatoes are ( 30 more minutes ). Taste for salt and add some if it needs it. Serve the stew hot with some rice.




















1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Your curry looks sooooo good!