Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cardamom & Marmalade Scones



When I first saw these scones on seriouseat, I knew immidiately that I must give it a try because I really like a combination of orange and cardamom! However , given a small amount of butter called for in the recipe, on second thought, I didn't think I'd go for it!

Instead, I googled to get more recipes from different sources and finally, found one that I liked the most... and here it is!!

The recipe ( adapted from here ) :


2 cups self raising flour
1.5 tbsp sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled cut into pieces
3/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cup orange marmalade (chunky kind with bits of orange peel)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
sugar


Heat oven to 400°F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cardamom together. Add in the butter and use a fork or pastry cutter to blend into mixture until it is crumbly.

Mix the egg, milk and marmalade together then pour into the dry ingredient and mix until the dough comes together. Add more milk if needed. Dough should come together so that you can roll it out.

Place dough on a board and gently bring it together. Roll the dough out until 1.5 inches thick , using a round cutter cut the dough out into pieces and place on parchment lined baking sheet.

Brush the top scone with milk and sprinkle a little sugar on each scone. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.


















































No comments: