Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pan De Muerto..Bread of the Dead !

Pan de muertos is a type of  bread traditionally baked in Mexico during the weeks leading up to the Día de los Muertos, which is celebrated on November 1 and 2. It is a sweetened soft bread shaped like a bun, often decorated with bone-like pieces. Pan de muertos is eaten on Día de los Muertos, at the gravesite or altar of the deceased. In some regions it is eaten for months before the official celebration of Dia de los Muertos. As part of the celebration, loved ones eat pan de muertos as well as the relative's favorite foods. The bones represent the lost one (difuntos or difuntas) and there is normally a baked tear drop on the bread to represent sorrow. The bones are represented in a circle to portray the circle of life.

I wasn't aware of this bread's existence until I've recently found it on here.  As a bread (making) lover,I knew at the first sight that there's nothing that could stop me from making the bread! Given my husband doesn't fancy a taste or smell of orange blossom water, so I searched on google for other options and finally ended up with this one from here.

































I've also sent this bread to join yeastspotting hosted by Susan of Wildyeast.

2 comments:

MyFudo™ said...

I love bread! I love learning about traditions and cultures too...Thanks for sharing a little tidbit about the November Mexican celebration. I really need not wait for the next November to make this Pan de Muerto. It sure looks good!

Winnie said...

It's a beautiful bread!
I really like the shape of it :)